POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Polygons in a 3D plane? : Re: Polygons in a 3D plane? Server Time
5 Sep 2024 10:27:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Polygons in a 3D plane?
From: Spock
Date: 11 Mar 2001 19:31:07
Message: <3aac18cb@news.povray.org>
Correct me if I am wrong, but I think the triangle and the plane are the
only 2D shapes that can be rendered by POV, regardless of orientation.

Perhaps you could use CSG to hack interesting shapes out of a plane (I don't
know if this is possible)...  but I think my brain would overload if I tried
this in arbitrary 3-space.  Might be better to carve the plane while it is
lying flat and then move it into place.

In the specific example you describe I would build the pentagon out of
triangles and encode everything in a macro to minimize the impact on my
other code.  You might choose to pass the centre, normal, and radius to the
macro to provide one-stop shopping.

"Snowman" <sno### [at] somewherecom> wrote in message
> Maybe I should have explained better:
> I am trying to create shapes in a 3D plane without using triangles, i.e.
its